Am I a candidate for weight loss surgery?
The easiest way to find out if weight loss surgery is right for you is to Schedule a consultation with one of our board certified bariatric surgeons. New Hope Surgical offers three of the most popular weight loss procedures in Chicago including the gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, and the Lap-Band System.
Basic Weight Loss Surgery Qualifications
- Be between the ages of 18 and 65 years old.
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of 40+, or a BMI between 35 – 40 with one or more co-morbidities, such as type II diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, acid reflux, infertility, and joint related problems.
- Have attempted to lose weight by other non-surgical methods unsuccessfully.
- Be highly motivated for a new lifestyle and nutritional change.
- Be free from psychological and emotional conditions.
- Understand what bariatric surgery is, and what it can and can’t accomplish.
- Being honest with yourself and have realistic expectations and positive mindset for surgical weight loss.
Additional factors do exist which will be determined during your initial consultation to evaluate if you are a good candidate for weight loss surgery. Dr. Fred Tiesenga is an award winning surgeon who can help you determine what bariatric procedure would best fit you.